The Body Tech Mentor position is responsible to training newly introduced apprentice in the ACES program while still completing the duties of a top level Body Technician. The Mentor will be responsible in making sure the apprentice is using the proper safety equipment, tools while performing operations. The Mentor will also be responsible for explaining and demonstrating proper repair procedures in an atmosphere of learning.
- Coach and train newly introduced apprentices.
- Determine what tasks the apprentice can be placed on and provide constructive feedback as needed to ensure growth.
- Demonstrate the proper use off safety equipment and tools, and ensure the apprentice is properly using all equipment
- Demonstrate proper procedures during repairs to the apprentice, including reading work orders and repair guides or data to ensure proper repair procedures are being followed
- Must work with the General Manager and others in the ACES program to ensure that development goals are being reached with the apprentice
- Provide coaching and training to the apprentice so he can accurately gauge his own areas of opportunity for improvement
- Perform the regular duties of a Body Technician while mentoring an apprentice.
- Responsible for following Industry/Abra approved repair procedures to restore damaged vehicles with:
- Highly damaged vehicles
- Minor and Major (0- over 8 hour) dents
- Remove/Replace stationary panels and door skins
- Perform plastic repair through adhesive or plastic welding processes
- Perform all structural repairs to include replacement of frame rales or sectioning as needed
- Replace corrosion protection
- Apply seam sealer to match OEM function and appearance
- Diagnose and replace damaged suspension and steering parts
- Set up and measure vehicles on frame racks per vendor procedures
- Set up and tune welders, conduct destructive testing on practice welds
- Corrects structural unibody & full frame misalignment using pulling equipment.
- As needed, utilizes the technical information sheet, attached to the work order for all repair work
- Actively participates in repair planning and repair vs replace decisions
- Actively participate in the repair center’s meetings to relate status of assigned vehicles and prioritize work efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Actively participates with various shop staff in problem-solving conversations to assist in keeping vehicles on schedule for on-time delivery.
- Consistently follows Abra’s quality control processes and contributes to meeting the return rate target.
- Consistently utilizes all required safety equipment, adheres to all requirements for hazardous waste disposal and participates in monthly safety meetings.
- Keep personal work area organized and returns tools, materials and equipment to designated areas.
- Performs other duties as required to successfully meet the needs of the business
- 7 years previous collision repair experience
- Interpersonal skills and patience to provide coaching and training to an apprentice.
- Must maintain a valid state driver’s license in order to drive any customer or company vehicle.
- Knowledge of manufacturers’ repair processes & adherence to Abra's technical repair processes.
- Demonstrated commitment to continued learning by ongoing participation in I-CAR ProLevel training and other Abra/industry-required training.
- Predictable and reliable attendance required.
- High school diploma or GED
- EPA Certified for AC
- I-CAR Structural ProLevel certification
- Role Rep Preferred (not required)
- I-CAR Steel Structural Welding Certificate.
- ASE Body Tech Certificate preferred
- Auto Body Vo-Tech Certificate preferred
- Aluminum Welding Certificate preferred
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Position is based in a normal shop environment. Frequent physical activity such as kneeling, bending, squatting, stooping, lifting above shoulders. Repetitive tasks involving hand and arm motion and lifting objects over 50 lbs. Exposure to fumes, chemicals, dust, along with high levels of noise. Required to wear protective equipment. Must have manual dexterity to operate equipment. Subject to weather conditions both inside and outside
Posted Date: 6/4/2019 6:08:00 PM
Requisition Number: 2019-14172
Position Type: Full Time